Sunday, February 12, 2012

Summary vs. Analysis


A summary, is a simple this is what happened in the book, movie what have you. It is a true undeniable fact of what happened in the story.

An analysis, analyzes the text or story for themes, trends, patterns, characters and making an arguable claim to its underlying meaning. Underlying, like not visible or outright. It is a deeper look trying to see something that may or may not be there.

I think as a writer I NEVER have underlying anything. Seriously is every author thoughtful or conniving enough to put basically a secret in their work? I sincerely wonder if everyone has underlying motives, intentions, or meanings? It has become a theme in my life and now I am going to become a crazy person who overanalyzes what anyone says or writes, to try to understand why, EVEN if there is absolutely no reason or underlying motivation.

photo from: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-50807479/stock-vector-magnifying-glass-guy-pointing-down.html

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    Your post reminds me of people over analyzing relationships. When they first get into them they think every text, call and interaction has some underlying meaning. Did I say that wrong? Should I have texted him/her the day after or two days after? Enough of that, back to the matter at hand. I think most writers do put underlying meaning in their books. It might be thinly veiled, but it is still underlying. It is like body language. Most people don't realize that they are registering more from another person's body language and tone than from what the other person is saying. Great post.

    ReplyDelete